Friday, September 23, 2011

Green Living: The No Poo Challenge - Tips and Tricks

So we're not the only crazy ones. Other people have done the No Poo thing too. And they are addicted. It certainly has made my hair more manageable and has brought out my natural wave. It definitely took some time to get used to. In fact, I went off the wagon a couple of times in the past few months because I felt like my hair was greasy, and you know what? When I washed it with regular shampoo, it was greasier.

This is what my hair looks like since I've done the No Poo challenge (and this was on a day when it felt kind of greasy):
No Poo Method

I'll take it.

So here are some tips for using the No Poo method:
  1. Try to wean off of washing every day. 
  2. When using the baking soda wash, concentrate on the hairline, especially at the temples. Take your time and rub your scalp in circular motions.
  3. You don't have to use the vinegar every time you wash your hair if you don't want to.
  4. If you feel like your hair is getting too greasy, only use the vinegar on the ends of your hair.
And as I mentioned before, other people use the No Poo method. It's safe to use for children too. In fact, it's safer than most baby shampoos that are available.
  • Genevieve from Why Cloth Diaper? gives some tips about using baking soda and vinegar to wash her hair for the past two years.
  • Christi has some information about the dangers of chemicals in our shampoos, as well as instructions and tips for the No Poo method on the Nature Moms blog
  • The ladies at Gimme the Good Stuff, who don't always love the most natural products, love the No Poo method. 
  • Crunchy Betty has a before picture and an after pic, and she even shares a Sorta 'Poo recipe for all of you who think it's just too crunchy to never see lather again in your shower.  
  • Lisa at Granola Catholic has also blogged about her family's No Poo routines
So there you have it. All the No Poo resources you could have ever wanted. So what are you waiting for? Go try it! You only have 8 days of the No Poo challenge left!

    6 comments:

    1. My biggest reservation is that while my hair adjusts I will look like a total greaseball. Maybe I will start over Christmas vacation so at least it is only Joe and B that will be subjected to my pizza hair!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Do it, Jen! It's not that bad, I promise! :) I've been poo free for two years and honestly, the transition phase wasn't that horirble.

      I agree though, it's best to find a time when YOU are going to be comfortable. :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. Buy a really cute headband or bandanna that you can wear while your hair adjusts. And it's really not that bad, I promise too!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Twist my rubber arm why don't ya!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hi there, found my way here by way of Tmuffin.

      I recently switched to baking soda & vinegar and I love it (so much that I also wrote a how-to post!). You're right, at first, it's pretty hard. I almost gave up and went back to shampoo, but then I just changed the amounts I was using and voila! pretty hair again.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Gaby, I'm re-inspired! I've been off the wagon for a month only because it's such a hassle to mix up the baking soda (okay, "SUCH a hassle" is an overstatement, but you know what I mean). My hair has been awful. Starting tomorrow, I'm back to no-pooing!
      Maia
      www.gimmethegoodstuff.org

      ReplyDelete